Walks & Tours
RUSSIA PHOTO EXPEDITION
Available Seats : 12 out of 12
Event Start :
Event End :
Place of visit : RUSSIA
Participation Fee : 325000.00 /- INR
Share Event on :
Whatever you've ever thought about Russia, it’s probably wrong. This photo tour will take you to one of the most exciting places on earth. We will spend plenty of time on the ice, crossing the lake in vehicles and stopping at various islands and other beautiful ice features on the way. Our drivers are local ice experts who know the lake in and out and who will make this a safe expedition for us.
Lake Baikal is the world’s largest volume of freshwater, holding approx. 20% of the earth’s supplies. With a depth of one mile, it is also the world’s deepest, and it measures about 50 miles by 430 miles. The water is so clear, if you drop a coin, you can watch it sink for over one minute. Temperatures around the lake range from over 100°F/40°C in summer to -40°F/-40°C in winter.
Gear up for a 10-days photography tour to Russia and expose your cameras to the picturesque landscapes, stunning portraits and the intricacies of the country. Educate the photographer in you with a mentor as good as Mr. Tim Vollmer and treat yourself to the experience of Russia and all that it has to offer!
Tim Vollmer has devoted his life to photography, which has been his long-held hobby and great passion. He has been leading photo tours and workshops in Iceland and many other countries over the years. He has had the world as his workplace. Photographing everything from the dramatic landscape in Iceland, to the native people in the remote corners of the world and the culture that is unique to each country. His journeys have taken him around the world in pursuit of memorable travel experiences and the creation of compelling images.
Day 1 : Irkutsk
- Pick-up from airport or train station followed by a sumptuous lunch
- Guided excursion around the historical centre of Irkutsk city
- Visit Orthodox churches with beautiful indoor paintings & intricate architecture
- Visit the central city square decorated with fantastic sculptures made of transparent ice of Lake Baikal and the central food market, an original Siberian bazar.
- Visit the local history museum
- Dinner served in one of the local traditional restaurants where you could try Russian cuisine
Day 2 : (Irkutsk- Lake Baikal-Olkhon’s Gate strait) Drive out of Irkutsk city along the northern highway through the snow-covered fields
- Lunch served at the road café with dishes of the Traditional Siberian cuisine
- Arrival at the Hotel located in a picturesque setting
- Accommodation at the hotel with a nice opened view of snow clad mountains of Primorskii Mountain Range and Olkhon’s Gate strait
- Get your photo gear and take a first ice driving excursion across the Olkhon’s Gate straight to the southern extremity of Olkhon Island
- Head back to the hotel where we shall enjoy a festive dinner and following with the experience of the Russian steam sauna – Banya, located right at the shore of Baikal.
Day 3 : Round Trip around the southern extremity of the Small Sea. A huge circle trip around local areas, covering all the main sights
- Heading to the Cross Cape, the tip of the west coast on the edge of the Olkhon’s Gate straight
- Drive to the best observation point of this area – Mt. Tankhan and The Valley of the Stone Spirits famous for the multiple, amazingly shaped rocky pillars. Some of them look like remains of the old castles, some like a mushroom
- Lunch stop shall be made at the local road café where you could try several tasty dishes from the Buryat ethnic cuisine.
- Drive around southern extremity of the Small Sea
- Visit valley of the Sarma River famous as the windiest place of the whole of Lake Baikal
- Explore massive ice grotto(s) in it and spectacular island Borakchin famous for its ancient Shamanistic graving place and amazingly shaped granite boulders on its plateau.
Day 4 : Island Ogoy – Huzjir, capital settlement of Olkhon Island : Continue our ice driving adventures
- Drive across the Olkhon’s Gate straight and get close to the island
- Enter a Small Sea – part of Lake Baikal framed by mountains of Baikal’s western shore and Olkhon Island
- Take a special stopover at the picturesque island Ogoy, which has a Buddhist monument & walk to the top of the island to take a closer look at the monument and enjoy the colorful setting with the pray flags decorating this area
- A professional Guide - to educate you about Buddhism as a religion and suggest you to complete a traditional circle walk around the monument
- Visit local ports with many frozen ships. Visit the rocky Cape Burhan, which is still a sacred spot for all local Shamans
- Arrival at the main settlement of the island – Huzhir and lunch meal at a local café
- Head to the northern extremity of Olkhon Island – Cape Hoboy
- Reach the northern cape of Olkhon, locally called “Hoboy” (means fang tooth in translation from aboriginal language) which is the most spectacular place of the whole Olkhon Island area
- Head back to our hotel on the Olkhon Island inland
Day 5 : Exploration of the western shore of Lake Baikal down south : Start our jeep trip early in the morning
- Head to the Tageran steppes
- Taken at the ancient rock drawings showing riders, deer and shamans
- Witness several ice grottos and rocks covered with amazing ice structures
- Visit the famous other ancient rock drawings on high gorgeous rocky cliff
- Arrive at the little village - Buguldeika, hidden in the picturesque valley of the western shore of the Lake Baikal
- Stopover at marble quarry, where the locals cut out cubes of this snow-white stone
- Head back to our hotel along the highway. Dinner at the hotel
Day 6 : Southern part of Olkhon Island
- Explore the southern part of Olkhon Island from both sides: ice surface and inland
- Head to the Halzany bay with a stunning rocky cliff, standing like a finger in the middle of it
- Next, we make a visit at the rocky pillars of the neighbor bay and a place famous as a “handing” stone – huge flat boulder sticking out of the rocky ridge, overhanging over the edge
- Lunch shall be served at the picnic around the open campfire
- Explore several deep spectacular ice caves richly covered with icicles and ice splashes
- Head back to the hotel location - driving through ice
Day 7 : Island Elenka
- Take an ice-driving excursion up north along the shore of Lake Bail
- First stopover will be taken at the lonely rocky island Elenka
- Head further north to see few gorgeous rocky cliffs framing a deep closed bay and the big Siberian settlement - Onguren
- Lunch stop will be taken as a picnic on the ice crevasses
- Then, visit Cape Rity famous as the most sacred and enigmatic place of Lake Baikal
- Head back to our hotel with a stopover for the sunset time
Day 8. Driving down south along the shore line on the ice of Lake Baikal
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Check out from the hotel
- Head on the highway to the already familiar Buguldeika settlement
- Explore some amazing grottos and arches of the Dirovatiy Cape
- Take a long stopover for a walking excursion around this place and lunch stop, organized as a picnic on the ice with dishes cooked over the barbecue.
- This afternoon we shall explore one of the deepest ice grottoes at Lake Baikal
- Arrival at Bolshoe Goloustnoe settlement at the western cost of Lake Baikal
- Later, accommodation arranged in wooden lodges by the local hotel located right at the shore of Lake Baikal
Day 9: Driving back to Irkutsk along the Goloustnaya River Valley.
- Breakfast at the local café
- Spend some time at Lake Baikal, taking your last few images of its frozen surface and shore rocks covered with amazing ice structures
- Check out of the hotel and load your luggage in the jeeps
- Start the drive towards Irkutsk city along the picturesque road around the Goloustaya River valley
- Take several short stopovers in the most scenic places en-route
- Reach Maloe Goloustnoe settlement. After the walking excursion across this Siberian village we will get to the local Sled Husky Farm
- Head towards Irkutsk city
- Accommodation at a comfortable hotel
- Enjoy festive dinner at the restaurant “Cranberry” celebrating the conclusion of the tour!
Day 10 : Irkutsk
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Transfer to the IRK airport by car
- Departure to Moscow by the morning flight
1. Service of 2 English speaking guides-interpreters
2. All meals described in the tour itinerary
3. Accommodation as per itinerary
4. All transfers included in the route plan by jeep car.
5. Fees for visiting national park zones and museums.
6. Rent of winter outfit (clothing details, insulated shoes etc)
7. Professional photographer-guide(s)